3.15.2007

I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset.

I really like my job. This is a little queer to me.

It's not the job that makes the day worth it as much as it is my co-workers. They keep up with their work... and the down time is fun. Day by day, I get my laughs in on the weird ins-and-outs of the people I work with. It feels like I'm in a dirty sitcom.

They sent me to a fancy restaurant in Concord where they taught a group of us how to be better at our jobs. One of the lessons was to go to local stores and shop. Yes, that's right, they paid me to shop and eat. Most of the bene's there are fun little things, and even the annoying stuff isn't that bad.

There are the downsides, and they're almost enough to push me away.

The pay stinks and the hours aren't the greatest, but I've just received news that they'll be putting me on full time. Not only that, but a Sales Rep. position is going to open up and I'm mostly confident that I'll get it.

The "Greeter" thang is easy and without responsibility, but the money and the real job is in the sales position. Not only that, but I hate taking the back seat with the customer. It sucks the energy out of me to listen to an issue and direct it somewhere else, when I know with training I'd be more than capable of helping them. I could earn commission, because I could sell the phone.

The funny thing is that they have the "Sales Rep" title, but there isn't a whole lot of selling to it. It's a store by itself and the customers are getting assistance with items they've already decided to buy. I've watched the reps, most of them don't put much effort into their pitch, yet their commissions are pretty great.

The positive thing is that even though I'm not officially part of the group, I still feel like I'm one of them. Every day that I spent at Anthem, the employees looked at me like it was my last day in the building. They were sympathetically nice-ish yet incredibly distant and snooty.

Under the surface of all of this is a girl struggling for air. I'm worried that I'll have an eviction notice on my door or that my electricity will suddenly go kapoot. I'm tired of not having cable, and even more tired of worrying about every penny I spend.

If I can survive the next couple months, I should land on my feet. If I get a Sales position, I will eventually pay my rent in one monthly commission check and live on the bi-weeklies. Ashley'll probably join me and pay a chunk of my rent, and more importantly give me much needed company. The future may still hold some struggle in it, but when I'm at this job I feel like there is a possibility for a positive future.

If I can work at a place with people I enjoy being around, and work that I can live up to, and a pay that is lifestyle worthy (and once hired, there are health benefits), then maybe the road ahead isn't as bumpy as it looks.

No comments: