4.24.2007

Hey reckless mind,
Don't throw away your playful beginnings.

My day has been interesting, as always, so I've decided that the best thing to do is share it with you kind folks. Take from it what you will.

It began last night, really, when the thought got into my head that I'm supposed to be a blond. I was suddenly hit with the idea that at least some of my troubles could be blamed on my red toned hair. It was like there was a wig on my head that was intruding on my personality... it didn't fit in and it had to go.

On the night before my second interview with Anthem [That's right, they made me come back], I decided I could perform best if I was a platinum baby once again. I went with the lightest blond I could find, so that all traces of my former hair colors would be bleached the heck away. Can you smell the disaster yet? Isn't there a heaviness to the air, like driving past a field of cows?

My head became a patchy spectrum of whitish blond, pinkish red and light auburn hair. I resembled some kind of colorful popsicle dissolving on a sidewalk. It. was. ridiculous.

I left the house at 1am, thinking that I could run into Stop N' Shop, because if the South Willow location was run around the clock then it was reasonable to assume that this one was as well. Well, it wasn't. The interview was the following morning, and I'm not the fastest turtle alive. It wasn't looking good for me, in accordance with the going theme of my life.

I slept for about 3 solid hours, raced to the grocery store, and chose the next scalp burning colorant with hesitancy. I thought, shouldn't I just dye it brunette again? No, that would put me back to square one and I'll end up in a salon a month from today spending 200 dollars to get the right look. Well, what about a deep red? Then there'd be another CIA operative on my skull looking to terrorize my life. Can't have that.

I settled on a dark blond, with the hope that it would deepen and tone the white hair, neutralize the reds and blend in with the light auburn. I hereby formally thank every saint in every religion there has ever been; I'll even kiss the icons, sacrifice a goat and eat the cardboard bread. My hair came out looking exactly how I wanted it. Well, it's still a little redder than I'd prefer it to be, but in the sun it's actually pretty blond. It's quite amazing, in retrospect. I went to my interview with actual confidence, and I walked out of it feeling calm and calculative. As a side note, I'm performing every interview with 3 hours sleep. I rocked.

Crisis averted. What to do next? Eat Chinese, of course. I went to the buffet after purchasing 'The Tropic of Capricorn' from the classical section of Elm's used book store. I sat near two cute guys, both at single tables, with books in front of them from the same store. We ended up in a three way [get your mind out of the gutter] conversation about how we had averted books in high school, and found them irresistible in adulthood. As I left, for the first time in my life a boy that flirted with me actually followed through. He asked me out and gave me his number.

The funny thing is that I think it was because of my hair. Maybe I'm just crazy.



I EVEN TOOK SOME GLAMOR SHOTS JUST FOR YOU.
IT'S LIKE I'M THE JOURNALIST AND THE PHOTOGRAPHER.
You love me so much more right now, don't you?!





5 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow, that looks so cute. Nice on the date thing. WTG lighter hair. ;)

Good luck with the job!

I once died my hair brown and it turned bright purple. I was rockin it but my dh was HORRIFIED. Just a side note.

The Children's Barn Store said...

I had purple hair for a little while in high school.

Though I'm not sure it counts because it was super non-permanent Hot Topic stuff.

And it didn't really look as purple as it did a strange kind of red.

The Children's Barn Store said...

Thanks! Anthem is my back-up job in the event that I don't get PSNH. So it will be a relief to know I have it.

sourpatchbaby said...

Good luck with the job katie. The hair is rocking!Umn...Gotta go now, The Kid seems to have peed through his clothing onto my lap, and I was supposed to leave 10 minutes ago.

The Children's Barn Store said...

Thanks! At least it isn't the crazy mess it started out as. I like it, though once my hair has recovered from this I probably will see a pro to get it officially lightened.

I'm not worried about Anthem, I got that sweet job in the bag, baby. Its Public Svc. I'm scurred to death about.

Thanks for the pep words, G-masta!