1.21.2007

Out of the doubt that fills my mind...

I've been feeling incredibly unhealthy. I'm uncomfortable and very unhappy with my expanding jeans. I know I don't eat in excess, but what I'm eating is obviously not benefiting me.

I would never go on a diet for appearances sake because the rest of the world doesn't motivate me to follow through with an entire lifestyle change. I'm doing this because I don't feel good inside or out.

I had done Atkins a couple years ago and lost a ton of weight on it, but it didn't work out long term. It's good for a few months to kick my body into Ketosis, where the body burns only fat instead of sugar and carbohydrates. The problem with Atkins is that you can't fall off the wagon even a little, or it comes back big time. Who can eat only meat, veggies and carb controlled spacific food for more than a chunk of time? I know I can't.

The result is that I'm going on South Beach because there are alot less limitations. There is a bigger emphasis on healthier foods and very soon incorperates a moderate intake of certain sugars and grains. In reading the book, there is plenty of room for screw ups and it shouldn't be too hard to get back on the wagon should I splurge on Chinese food or alcohol or something of the like.

I might attempt to throw my body into Ketosis, but for now I'm going to ease into the South Beach diet and maybe do two weeks of Atkins when I've been working at the job I just got. The cheapest foods are full of sugar and carbohydrates, making it difficult to maintain the first strict phase with monetary limitations. If I'm starving and I need to eat something, I can't force myself to not eat anything. If I'm near a subway, I'm going to eat the low carb wrap, which is ok on even the strictest level of South Beach.

One very positive thing about the South Beach diet is that I've done some grocery shopping and tried some of the recipes. I made veggie kiesh with turkey bacon on the side, which made for a different but tasty breakfast. The next item was ricotta with vanilla extract and splenda, it said to chill it but I tried freezing it. As a result, the ricotta tasted somewhat like ice cream and was extremely filling. I'm pretty optimistic about the whole diet, even long-term. If it takes me more time to lose the weight, but I can live with the diet than I think it's totally worth it.

I've realized the bigger point of these diets is to better scrutinize what I'm eating and how much of the bad stuff I should be eating. The good thing with South Beach and Atkins, the good stuff are some of the things I love most. It's about making a healthier decision. It's only been a week, but I feel like I can do this and do it well.

No comments: