5.23.2007

She said "I think I'm goin' to Boston."



I'm at a crossroads in my life. I can continue with my current situation and do what I can to stay afloat, or I can take the road less traveled. I think it's time to make a change for the better, because the life I'm living seems to have found its limit.

My friend Jackie is pregnant and she needs to find an inexpensive apartment that suits her needs. My place couldn't be more perfect for her and I think I could move her in pretty quickly. It would lift that huge responsibility off of my chest and allow me to figure out where I'd rather be.

I'd rather be where there are more jobs, more opportunities and more everything. I've had a love affair with Boston since before the first time I ever stepped foot in it. I think that I could be happy there, that I could start a life. If I could find the kind of job I'm looking for and eventually my own apartment, school could even follow.

What is the difference between there and here? I don't know anybody in Boston, but I'm sure I could find friends. Boston has a ridiculously huge network of roommate connections, if I got a job and moved into an apartment with someone likeminded... it could work. It's a start.

I'm looking for a job and at possible roomies... there are a lot of possibilities. It would be a huge change, but something I need to do. The thought of waking up everyday in that city excites me. I could take art classes at the Massachussetts Institute of Art... become a Docent for the Museum of Fine Art... get a decent call center job... find a niche of people who suit me...

What do I have if I stay in Manchester? There are virtually no decent careers that will have me, the people I've maintained friendships with are few and far between, and I've become exhausted with it.

My theme song will be Boston, by Augustana. The second I heard it, I cried, because it's exactly how I've felt for years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you - I just stumbled upon your blog, but I think you should pursue your dreams. Take a chance! Why not make your life the best it can be? Have faith in yourself that you will make it. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and do what YOU want.

The Children's Barn Store said...

Thanks! I've wanted to move to Boston for years, but I never really had the balls to do it. I'm almost backed in a corner now... maybe that'll be enough of a push to get me there... it's worth a shot.

Just the words I needed to hear right now. And MAN that comment was quick. INSTA comment. I love it!